A Weekend Fishing Adventure
May 10, 2015
“Find a spot and stay put…. running at night can be dangerous.” In this instance, it’s 5:00 AM and we are about to run 65 miles W/NW of Key West on the Compass Rose with our good friend Capt. Mike Weinhofer. This was one of the more interesting fishing trips. We leave at dark and blow out into the Gulf searching for shrimp boats. These folks are out at sea for weeks at a time,working all night, finishing and sorting their catch, then separating out the “trash,”which is our gold. The “trash” represents bait and assorted other items brought up with the shrimp. We race out to sea to get to them before they finish their work and turn in to sleep.
It’s most basic of barters…. we seek baskets of bait and they get beer. You can see the simple transaction in the photos. More importantly, their work through the night has stirred things up. A fish feeding frenzy is common behind the boats… sharks, bonita, porpoise, and, our objective of the day, Black Fin Tuna, are all mixed together feasting on the shrimp boat left-overs and our bait.
The action was non-stop and one heck of a work-out! The adventure netted nine Black Fins running about 20-25 pounds each. We also brought in a bunch of Bonita, and Lemon and Black Tip sharks. Needless to say, with fresh ahi tuna, wasabi and soy, we had our own feast! Ah…just a note, we only keep what we will use or we give it away. As you might expect, coming to the docks with fresh tuna made us lots of friends!
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing