Dark 'n' Stormy
Jun 11, 2015
About 900 nautical miles northeast of Miami, Florida, is a territory of small volcanic islands called Bermuda. Situated in the hurricane belt along the Gulf Stream, Bermuda is often directly in the path of some very dark storms that dance their way up and down the high seas of the mighty Atlantic.
Invented in Bermuda just after World War I, it’s no surprise that the inspiration for the Dark ‘n’ Stormy cocktail came from the strong winds, raging seas and dark skies that are quite familiar to this archipelago. Legend has it that the name originated when an old sailor, holding the drink in his hand, said that the drink was the “color of a cloud only a fool or a dead man would sail under.”
The drink has a proud legacy in Bermuda, so proud in fact, that it has two trademark certificates on file with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which doesn’t happen often in the cocktail world! Made with Gosling’s Black Seal Rum ® (Bermuda’s national drink and most exported product), crisp ginger beer, and a hint of lime, this drink is perfect for all the stormy nights this summer has in store!
Who doesn’t like a good drink with the perfect storm in it?
2 ounces Gosling’s Black Seal Rum ®
4-5 ounces Gosling’s Stormy Ginger Beer
Lime slice, for garnish (optional)
In a tall highball glass filled with ice add 4-5 oz. of Gosling’s Stormy Ginger Beer and top with Gosling’s Black Seal Rum. Garnish with a lime wedge (optional).
Recipe adapted From Gosling’s
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)
- Tips for Hosting a Great 4th of July BBQ
- Why even wear a bathing suit?
- Father's Day Weekend BBQ: Mushroom-stuffed "Whamburgers"
- The Storied Oxford Shirt
- Dark 'n' Stormy
- A Sunny Place for Shady People
- A Dad, His Kids And A Summit
- Orange Crush Cocktail
- Key Lime Pie Dessert
- Remembering Our Fallen Heroes, And Those Left Behind
- Madda Fella’s Favorite Margarita
- A Weekend Fishing Adventure
- Happy Birthday, Pres. Harry Truman!
- The Cure for the Monday Blues
- Pirate Punch
- Behind the Scenes of the Madda Fella Spring 2015 Photo Shoot
- Welcome to our Journal