The Storied Oxford Shirt
Jun 17, 2015
The Oxford shirt is a simple, classic style with a storied past. Originating in 19 th century Scotland, the fabric mills named several shirt garments after the leading universities: Yale, Harvard, Cambridge, and of course, Oxford. Only the Oxford shirt has stood the test of time, however, remaining incredibly popular today.
The classic Oxford cloth employs a basket weave of two interlaced fabrics of different weight and color, the secret behind this garment’s versatility as a breathable, durable shirt. When first introduced, these shirts had detachable cuffs and collar, to be easily replaced when worn out. The early 1900s saw the Oxford as the unofficial “uniform” of spectators and players at English polo matches. Later, Ivy League school students of the 50s and 60s made the garment less formal, often wearing it un-tucked with shorts and loafers. The popularity of the Oxford shirt crossed the pond quickly after working its way though the United Kingdom, and well, the rest is history.
Our medium weight Water Landing Oxford is an everyday go-to shirt. Dress it up or dress it down, this is your all purpose classic. And true to its original stitching, these shirts are authentically made from 100% oxford yarn-dyed cotton, and heavy washed for a vintage look and feel. Available in four colors inspired by the Key West color palette: Caribbean Blue, Tequila Sunrise Red, blue/white stripe, and burnt orange/white stripe. A subtle embroidered swordfish also adorns the pocket.
Formal or casual, the Water Landing Oxford is for today’s classic fella.
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing