The Storied Oxford Shirt
Jun 17, 2015
The Oxford shirt is a simple, classic style with a storied past. Originating in 19 th century Scotland, the fabric mills named several shirt garments after the leading universities: Yale, Harvard, Cambridge, and of course, Oxford. Only the Oxford shirt has stood the test of time, however, remaining incredibly popular today.
The classic Oxford cloth employs a basket weave of two interlaced fabrics of different weight and color, the secret behind this garment’s versatility as a breathable, durable shirt. When first introduced, these shirts had detachable cuffs and collar, to be easily replaced when worn out. The early 1900s saw the Oxford as the unofficial “uniform” of spectators and players at English polo matches. Later, Ivy League school students of the 50s and 60s made the garment less formal, often wearing it un-tucked with shorts and loafers. The popularity of the Oxford shirt crossed the pond quickly after working its way though the United Kingdom, and well, the rest is history.
Our medium weight Water Landing Oxford is an everyday go-to shirt. Dress it up or dress it down, this is your all purpose classic. And true to its original stitching, these shirts are authentically made from 100% oxford yarn-dyed cotton, and heavy washed for a vintage look and feel. Available in four colors inspired by the Key West color palette: Caribbean Blue, Tequila Sunrise Red, blue/white stripe, and burnt orange/white stripe. A subtle embroidered swordfish also adorns the pocket.
Formal or casual, the Water Landing Oxford is for today’s classic fella.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)
- Tips for Hosting a Great 4th of July BBQ
- Why even wear a bathing suit?
- Father's Day Weekend BBQ: Mushroom-stuffed "Whamburgers"
- The Storied Oxford Shirt
- Dark 'n' Stormy
- A Sunny Place for Shady People
- A Dad, His Kids And A Summit
- Orange Crush Cocktail
- Key Lime Pie Dessert
- Remembering Our Fallen Heroes, And Those Left Behind
- Madda Fella’s Favorite Margarita
- A Weekend Fishing Adventure
- Happy Birthday, Pres. Harry Truman!
- The Cure for the Monday Blues
- Pirate Punch
- Behind the Scenes of the Madda Fella Spring 2015 Photo Shoot
- Welcome to our Journal