A Great Place for People Watching
Feb 06, 2016
There are several spots in Key West that are just made for people watching….
- Mallory Square and Sunset Pier as the sun sets.
- The bar and pool at Dante’s.
- The balcony at Bourbon Street Pub.
- The legendary Green Parrot.
The constant revelry and general carefree spirit that draw visitors to the Conch Republic are on full display here and throughout the tiny island every day of the year.
One of our absolute favorite places to people watch is Table #4 at Nine One Five.
This particular table, a two-top nestled next to the restaurant’s white picket fence within arm’s length of the foot traffic on Duval Street, is unbeatable. Far enough removed from Mallory Square to provide a quieter atmosphere, but still close enough to the heart of the action to feature a satisfying mix of locals and visitors, families and couples, bachelorette parties, frat boys and everything in between. The crowd itself may be a bit thinner than what you’ll find outside of The Bull but the carousing is no less fun to watch.
Why is this among our favorites?
We love this spot because you can (and we have) sit there for hours watching the rich scenery while enjoying some of the best food on the island. The menu has remained pretty consistent over the years but that’s not a bad thing. We usually start with some small plates like Devils on Horseback (bacon wrapped dates with roasted garlic) and grouper ceviche with avocado, oranges and coconut dressing. Always a cone of fries. Maybe some braised pork tacos or beef carpaccio with truffle aioli.
Sounds fancy right? The food certainly is. These guys have been invited to cook for the Beard Foundation twice. But the feel of the place is anything but stuffy. The wine and conversation flow freely and the tanned and relaxed faces of both the staff and the guests make everyone feel welcome.
The most special dishes at Nine One Five are, not surprisingly, seafood. The black angus prime filet and the New Zealand rack of lamb are nothing to sneeze at, but the pan roasted grouper, soul mama seafood soup (Key West pink shrimp, grouper, PEI mussels and clams in a Thai green curry broth) and especially the crispy whole yellowtail prepared Thai style are unforgettable and there’s no better way to celebrate island living.
Next time you’re in Cayo Hueso take a stroll to Duval between Olivia and Truman and check it out. If you’re not up for haute cuisine just head upstairs to Point5, where Andrew pours a mean drink, the chef tosses a phenomenal pizza, and the people watching is equally divine.
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)