"A Sunny Place for Shady People"
Jun 19, 2019
From 4:00am to 10:00am...closed.
The other 18 hours The Green Parrot is wide open and full of classic American saloon revelry!
Their slogan, "A Sunny Place for Shady People", is “dead-on” for the #3 favorite bar in America. Let’s be blunt… this is the “Dive Bar” of dive bars.
Truthfully, when asked about my favorite bars in KW, I had a tough time. There are plenty of great ones, and absolutely make the rounds.
The Parrot, though, is classic and quintessential Key West.
You’ll find the locals as well as the folks floating in for a weekend getaway. It’s just as likely that on the stool next to you is a millionaire or a regular Joe or Jane. The entire cross-section of America are all equal here… and all there for the same purpose… to relax, let go of some steam, and enjoy the moment. This place defines the word “salty”… including the patrons.
To give perspective, hitting Friday night “Sound Check” is locally known as “going to church”. They highlight both local artists and national bands, with most booked through the weekend. Check their live music schedule here. Later in evening, the place really starts rolling and the dancing kicks in.
One recent Monday evening I brought some unsuspecting guests into the Parrot. It was dead quiet, and I mean you could hear a pin drop.
Then you hear “B-5”.
Someone yells out “BINGO”, and a bunch of groans rise from the rest of the crowd.
Locals and visitors alike gather for Green Parrot Bingo every Monday from 7 to 9pm. With cards just $1 each and various prizes through-out the evening, over $50,000 has been raised for MARC House, a non-profit organization serving adult clients with intellectual disabilities in Monroe County. It’s fun…and different. Test your “agility” by playing multiple cards at once!
The Parrot proudly stands at the corner of Whitehead and Southard street. With its wide-open sides, main and supplemental bars, it’s easy to slide in for a cold one and catch the local scene as well as live music.
And it doesn’t matter what time of the day or night you do slide in. There are games to idle away the afternoon… billiards, darts, etc., free popcorn, and ample room at the bars to nuzzle up and meet someone new or just hang back and people watch. Quite frankly, it’s just as likely to be packed with crowds on the sidewalk outside as well as inside.
It’s also the kind of place where it feels natural to buy the person next to you a beer, and they return the gesture… it has that old-time feel (and smell) of your favorite, Saturday afternoon, well-worn sweater. Beers are cold, drinks are healthy, and the staff is genuine. Actually, let’s stay on that for a moment. It’s the type of place that attracts genuine people that are both nice and real. Even if you are a tourist, you’ll feel like a local here.
The building goes back to its origins as a grocery store in 1890, to The Brown Derby bar (patroned by the sailors at the nearby Navy base), to becoming the Green Parrot in the 70’s. Through it all, it remained a classic setting for all who came in, and very much the neighborhood bar.
Sooo… leave your baggage (literally and figuratively) outside and jump in… Happy Hour is about to start!
- And the Oscar Goes to….
- "A Sunny Place for Shady People"
- The Old Man and a Sea
- Blame it on the “Amazon20” Discount Code…
- Best Mojito in Key West…Seriously.
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- Come on down!
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now