Jul 21, 2019
I think I’m right here…most dogs love the water.
Our Ella is the leader of that pack. A recent quiet Sunday morning, Grace and I decided to hit the beach and do a little (very little) fishing and give Ella some “breathing room” to romp.
When not in Key West, which has its own “dogs only” beach” (next to Louie’s Backyard), here’s our top 5 reasons to take your dog (or just borrow one) to the beach.
- It’s good for your soul. There is a true meditation quality to calm ocean waters, a rising sun, your ever-present sidekick and a fishing rod. With or without the dog and fishing rod, find that quiet beach and reflect on what’s good and right. No fake news on your beach. Actually, no news at all.
- Something new to lick.This little guy was back in the water in seconds. But not before Ella showed her immense concern that maybe Nemo was indeed lost on her beach. Or, for the more curious, “hey, this sure doesn’t taste like a dog popsicle.”
- Dogs “gotta” run. Ya know, maybe we all need to stretch the legs a little also. But the basics of “pooch management’… they all need that morning walk/run/etc. Somehow, you just can’t help but join in when the lead dog picks up the pace. (Does that count as the daily cardio?)
- Might find that hidden pirate treasure. Just never know what treasures await a few feet down. With that amazing sense of smell, we believed a true treasure was moments away. I guess we need to redefine what “treasure” may mean to each of us. Truthfully, was expecting a little more than a sand crab. Come on Ella…dig deeper!
- Easy to teach surf casting. I thought maybe she’d give it a try…she was certainly very engaged in the process. You might say, “an eager learner”! But then a seagull came along and…well...that darn canine ADD.
Most calendars have the “dog days of summer” starting about now. Find that quiet spot, toss some water in the mix, kick back for a stretch…smile, relax and be glad we’re all still on this journey.
- Five Steps to Building the Perfect Rum Bar
- …fishing dog.
- And the Oscar Goes to….
- "A Sunny Place for Shady People"
- The Old Man and a Sea
- Blame it on the “Amazon20” Discount Code…
- Best Mojito in Key West…Seriously.
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- Come on down!
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life