Our man behind the curtain...
Sep 23, 2016
…well, behind the wheel.
And…read through to the end…great opportunity to win a Presidents Day Weekend trip to Key West and fishing with Compass Rose Charters.
As many of you know, we love the gorgeous waters surrounding the keys. Whether it is just boating, floating the afternoon away, or tossing the lines out for some fish. If we’re on the water, it’s a great day.
Whenever we hit the waters for light or heavy fishing, we turn to Captain Mike Weinhofer at Compass Rose Charters.
First, a great back story.
Mike grew up on the Jersey shore running charters with his Dad out of Brielle and worked tournaments up and down the coast. He turned to a career in Finance up in NYC after his youth.
Have you ever had that moment when you look inward and say, “What the heck am I doing with my life?”
Well, Mike had one of those and took control. He moved to the lower keys in 1990 and started running charters with a single boat...a classic story of living the dream.
He’s fished and worked with his neighbor, the late Jose Wejebe (Spanish Fly), hosted fishing shows on USRadio1, started and ran the KW sailfish tournament and the Keys Dolphin tournament. In fact, you’ll occasionally spot him and one of his boats on the Outdoor Network, working with SeaHunter boats in various tournaments.
He has run trips from Venezuela to Cuba, the Bahamas to Maryland, Outer Banks, and throughout Mexico…but the waters around KW are his backyard.
His charter company, Compass Rose, can support any type of fishing you’re looking for. We’ve run deep in the Gulf to fish the shrimp boats, off-shore for sail, dolphin and assorted species, permit, tarpon, flats fishing and so forth. While I’ve not done lobster dives, he can support that also.
Here are a few of our past adventures with Compass Rose:
I don’t know how many trips I’ve run with Mike over the last decade…but it’s the only call I make. The boats are well prepared, clean, and ready to make the day memorable.
But here’s what’s most important…he has a great attitude. If you are new to fishing, you’ll get instruction and patience and support to get you rolling. I was just rummaging through some internet comments about him and came across this from a couple months ago.
If you are experienced and looking for more intense action…then brace yourself. I hate to “screw one up”…he just looks at me and shakes his head like…”Come on Mike, you know better!” Ooops.
We’ve lined up something special for one of our site visitors this winter…half-day charter out to the Marquesas with Compass Rose charters…on us. It’s all set for Saturday morning, February 18th. Part of our incredible Presidents Day get-a-way, give-a-way!
Toss your line in and take a shot, just click here: Win it!
However, if you are heading there and looking for a great guide, a great guy and a great day of fishing…this is where it happens.
Sooo….take a breath, get yourself on down to Key West and catch a few.
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)