…our pup is off to school.
May 16, 2017
Ah…our pup is off to school.
It’s kind of like being a parent and sending your first born off to kindergarten.
Ella, our golden retriever, Madda Fella mascot, and all around #1 licker has started her therapy dog training. (The legit process)
Here’s a little snippet on what therapy dogs do: “They go with their owners to volunteer in settings such as schools, hospitals, and nursing homes. From working with a child who is learning to read to visiting a senior in assisted living, therapy dogs and their owners work together as a team to improve the lives of other people.”
It got a little personal for us.
My oldest daughter works with young children that are fighting the most vicious of diseases…cancer, renal failure, etc. … the stuff no child nor parent should ever have to face.
She knew first hand the comfort a well trained dog can provide a child facing deep challenges, and the joy those moments can have for a parent seeing their child just being a kid again.
The conversation started a while ago, but now that Ella is 18 months and well-trained, it will be something she (and Grace) can well handle and are prepped for.
Perhaps we all look for ways in our life to give back or just make a difference in someone’s life. And perhaps in our small way, Ella can bring some sunshine into a child’s life or warm up a lonely time for a senior.
Sometimes it is just the simplest of gestures or thoughtfulness that make a big difference to someone going through a difficult stretch.
Guarantee this…and not sure what it is about Golden Retrievers, but they sure know how to hug.
Ok, Ok…I know, not a real hug…they just lean into you.
It’s a bit of a process, and will take a couple months to get her completely trained and certified as a therapy dog. In this big picture of life, that’s nothing if we can help “lighten the load” for people struggling with deep and hard life challenges.
Quite frankly, doing something for others also makes you feel pretty darn good about yourself. Maybe we all should challenge ourselves to do one random act of kindness for someone this week...just because…do we really need a reason?
We’ll keep you posted on Ella’s progress.
Also, hate to admit it, but we are little jealous that Ella has more followers on Instagram then we do. Here’s a link to her Instagram account if you want to follow her everyday adventures and progress: http://bit.ly/2r8Agav
Leave you with one quote: "Never regret anything that made you smile. You have one life to live & when it's all said and done, you will know...happiness is a choice."
Live Life Now...and all that means, whether it's giving back or simply enjoying a sunset.
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)
- Tips for Hosting a Great 4th of July BBQ
- Why even wear a bathing suit?
- Father's Day Weekend BBQ: Mushroom-stuffed "Whamburgers"
- The Storied Oxford Shirt
- Dark 'n' Stormy
- A Sunny Place for Shady People
- A Dad, His Kids And A Summit
- Orange Crush Cocktail
- Key Lime Pie Dessert
- Remembering Our Fallen Heroes, And Those Left Behind
- Madda Fella’s Favorite Margarita
- A Weekend Fishing Adventure
- Happy Birthday, Pres. Harry Truman!
- The Cure for the Monday Blues
- Pirate Punch
- Behind the Scenes of the Madda Fella Spring 2015 Photo Shoot
- Welcome to our Journal