The Key West Songwriters Festival
Feb 01, 2019
Looking to start your summer off on a good note?
Look no further than “The Key West Songwriters Festival” May 8th to the 12th. In fact, if you want a shot at attending…check this out.
For the past 23 years globally recognized and award-winning singers and songwriters have come to Key West to deliver four packed days of good music and good vibes, with undeniable talent.
For those who have never had the pleasure of taking part in the largest festival of its kind in the world, we’d highly recommend it.
But before we “sing” any more praises, how about a crash course on the festival itself?
The festival roots reach back to 1995, featuring a humble but lively performance by Mickey Newbury and Shel Silverstein. Yes, that Shel Silverstein. Long before he was telling us “Where the Sidewalk Ends” or all about “The Light In The Attic”, Silverstein was crafting both catchy and crude tunes in Key West. In fact, the singer/songwriter had been a Key West frequenter for years – beginning when he shared a waterfront home with Jimmy Buffet and David Allan Coe.
In 1996, BMI stepped in as a partner and sponsor helping to bring in more acts, grow the festival substantially and establish it as a favorite tradition of both locals and visitors.
Since that time the festival has brought in acts who have written smash hits for everyone from Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney to Rascal Flats and Alan Jackson. In 2019, the Songwriters Festival is slated to host around 200 artists, with performances throughout town.
Those 4 days the streets of Key West will be alive with the beats of various bands, singers, songwriters and boasting free and private shows. This years feature acts haven’t been announced yet but based on the past few years we know they will be a talented group! While restaurants and local bars will be hosting many of them throughout the day, several main stages with be set up at key points along Duval Street.
We’’d also like to add that proceeds from the festival go to the BMI Foundation itself, a nonprofit that supports the creation, performance, and study of music through awards, scholarships, grants, and commissions.
Interested in checking this one of a kind event out? Don’’t be shy. To get all the details and info you need, head over to: http://www.keywestsongwritersfestival.com/info.html
Be there or be square, come to the Keys to celebrate some truly spectacular songwriting skills.
- Best Mojito in Key West…Seriously.
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- Come on down!
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar