...Make a Difference
Nov 25, 2015
…Make a Difference.
Powerful words, but more powerful are the people that turn those words into action…and we are thankful for them, their courage, the example they set for us, and the difference they make.
While we give thanks for all the blessings bestowed on us as a great nation, we want to take a moment this Thanksgiving, break tradition and focus on one person.
As many who follow us know, we support the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) and its Good Grief Camp for kids that have lost a loved one in active military service. (http://maddafella.com/blogs/madda-fella/60034053-remembering-our-fallen-heroes-and-those-left-behind)
However, you may not know much about the courageous woman that made the difference in countless lives. As you read this, I’d encourage you to think about who you know…maybe even in your home right now, that has made a difference in your life and whom you are thankful for.
On November12th, 1992, not long before the Thanksgiving holiday, Bonnie Carroll lost her husband, Brigadier General Tom Carroll, in an Army C-12 plane crash. She struggled for a couple of years, found there was no support for people in her situation, and in 1994 used the life insurance money from her husbands death to form TAPS.
Through the years Bonnie has selflessly given of herself, as have thousands of volunteers, in helping people through perhaps the most difficult period in life.
I have known and worked with Bonnie and the TAPS (www.taps.org) organization for over 15 years. If the phrase “ Doing God’s work…” ever has meaning, it is with her and her incredible team.
This week our nation recognized Bonnie with the Medal of Freedom award, the highest civilian honor in the United States. (www.taps.org/BonnieCarroll/)
I can’t think of a more worthy person, not one who has made a difference in so many lives…and in lives that were crushed with the loss of a loved one serving our nation.
As we all give thanks this weekend, please take a moment and think about who has made a difference in your life.
Let’s take this one step further. How are you making a difference?
It is within each of us to find that moment, that person, that time in our lives where we give selflessly and make a difference. And while we celebrate a holiday, let’s each take that extra moment to challenge ourselves to be a little stronger, better and give more then we receive.
Bonnie…thank you for all that you have done to make the road easier to bear for so many. While I’d say congratulations…I know you … and know from your perspective that it’s not about you, but all of the people in the TAPS family.
- Best Mojito in Key West…Seriously.
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- Come on down!
- …the rest of the story.
- A jeep, a beach, a pooch and…
- …gone fishing.
- Conch Republic Independence...Backstory
- The Key West Songwriters Festival
- ...better than no breath at all.
- Toasts for St. Paddy’s Day…
- Whew…this didn’t end well.
- Numbers & Your Super Power
- Thank You.
- Let’s put the Rum in Pa-Rum Pum Pum Pum
- Key West Get-A-Way
- Put a Key West twist on your Thanksgiving Stuffing!
- The 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month…
- Celebrate National American Beer Day, The Best Way
- The Last Slice of Old Key West
- Florida Keys-Verified Relief Organizations to Support
- Irma, Harvey…and “One Human Family”
- ...found a new dive bar
- The Zen of Surf Fishing
- Why let summer end?
- The Perfect Gift, For Even the Most Particular Dad
- Our Favorite Schooner…
- …our pup is off to school.
- The Event
- Sloppy Joe's
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar