...Make a Difference
Nov 25, 2015
…Make a Difference.
Powerful words, but more powerful are the people that turn those words into action…and we are thankful for them, their courage, the example they set for us, and the difference they make.
While we give thanks for all the blessings bestowed on us as a great nation, we want to take a moment this Thanksgiving, break tradition and focus on one person.
As many who follow us know, we support the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) and its Good Grief Camp for kids that have lost a loved one in active military service. (http://maddafella.com/blogs/madda-fella/60034053-remembering-our-fallen-heroes-and-those-left-behind)
However, you may not know much about the courageous woman that made the difference in countless lives. As you read this, I’d encourage you to think about who you know…maybe even in your home right now, that has made a difference in your life and whom you are thankful for.
On November12th, 1992, not long before the Thanksgiving holiday, Bonnie Carroll lost her husband, Brigadier General Tom Carroll, in an Army C-12 plane crash. She struggled for a couple of years, found there was no support for people in her situation, and in 1994 used the life insurance money from her husbands death to form TAPS.
Through the years Bonnie has selflessly given of herself, as have thousands of volunteers, in helping people through perhaps the most difficult period in life.
I have known and worked with Bonnie and the TAPS (www.taps.org) organization for over 15 years. If the phrase “ Doing God’s work…” ever has meaning, it is with her and her incredible team.
This week our nation recognized Bonnie with the Medal of Freedom award, the highest civilian honor in the United States. (www.taps.org/BonnieCarroll/)
I can’t think of a more worthy person, not one who has made a difference in so many lives…and in lives that were crushed with the loss of a loved one serving our nation.
As we all give thanks this weekend, please take a moment and think about who has made a difference in your life.
Let’s take this one step further. How are you making a difference?
It is within each of us to find that moment, that person, that time in our lives where we give selflessly and make a difference. And while we celebrate a holiday, let’s each take that extra moment to challenge ourselves to be a little stronger, better and give more then we receive.
Bonnie…thank you for all that you have done to make the road easier to bear for so many. While I’d say congratulations…I know you … and know from your perspective that it’s not about you, but all of the people in the TAPS family.
- A Lesson in Valor…Thank You Ron.
- It’s a tremendous team…
- Our man behind the curtain...
- Presidents Day Jump to Key West
- … a “Band of Brothers” (and a few sisters)
- ... the three-legged wonder dog
- It’s Gonna Get Rough
- …found your sailboat, and a few “cudas”.
- Ninkasi…Goddess of Beer
- ...what a year - Thank You!
- ...future buckaroo's...Piñas Bay, Panama.
- Ooops, I did it again…
- Hitting the beaches at Key West
- A Great Place for People Watching
- Sand in the Hourglass of Life
- ...Make a Difference
- Freefallin’ and Living Life Now
- A Powerful Moment
- From the Heart
- ...No regrets
- A Man and a Tiki Bar
- "I Quit!"
- In The Buff
- Pig Fishing
- Lessons And Humble Pie From a Triathlon
- It was actually on the 2nd….(bet you didn’t know that)
- Tips for Hosting a Great 4th of July BBQ
- Why even wear a bathing suit?
- Father's Day Weekend BBQ: Mushroom-stuffed "Whamburgers"
- The Storied Oxford Shirt
- Dark 'n' Stormy
- A Sunny Place for Shady People
- A Dad, His Kids And A Summit
- Orange Crush Cocktail
- Key Lime Pie Dessert
- Remembering Our Fallen Heroes, And Those Left Behind
- Madda Fella’s Favorite Margarita
- A Weekend Fishing Adventure
- Happy Birthday, Pres. Harry Truman!
- The Cure for the Monday Blues
- Pirate Punch
- Behind the Scenes of the Madda Fella Spring 2015 Photo Shoot
- Welcome to our Journal